More Wonderland Textures

Projet DeepLow deeplowsoftware at oreka.com
Sat Jun 23 03:13:19 UTC 2001

Hi,

First of all thanks for your answer. I'm going to try to be more
specific, and I hope you will understand what I mean but my friends
tend to tell me I am very bad at explaining things, moreover I'm
french and my english might make me even less clear.

* More Precisions about my project :
We are trying to make a sort of 3D virtual library in smallTalk. We
have built an environment in which we added some books. The books are
actors made from the VRML : book.wrl attached to the mail. The next
step is to be able to set the book's texture so that the user will be
able to see what the book's name is. Since there is a method asTexture
in Morph we thought we could use a BasicButton for example for the
texture, in order to display the name on the book. Therefore we used
the command : book setTexturePointer: (BasicButton new asTexture). But
instead of becoming yellow with something written on it the book
became black.

* my problem explained as clearly as possible :
I have a WonderlandActor, made from the VRML file book.wrl attached to
this e-mail, and I would like to be able to find a way to make its
title available for people to read. To do so, I thought of setting its
texture using a morph as texture, but it doesn't work at all.

* by can't apply a texture that has more than one color I mean the
following thing :
I've tried to set the texture of a wonderland actor (by using
setTexture: aFullPath), and it works well as long as the file contains
just one color. When the file as two or more colors then then the
computer finds the color which is used most in the bitmap and paints
the whole book using that color.

*What I mean by make the texture work is :
either :
   -be able to use a morph as a texture and use it to write the book
title on the book.
or :
   -be able to use a bitmap with different colors and possibly a
drawing that would be rendered on the object.

I have a preference for option number 1.

*Does the demo project work :
if that is the pink alice rabbit you're talking about, yes it works,
still I haven't found out by myself how it can help me.

*about wrappers : that means I won't be able to do anything with them
?

*about adding morphs : I would have thought so, but I thought that
maybe there was a chance out of a million that it would work.

I hope that this time I was clear enough for you to solve my problem.
It would be so great if you did, unfortunately, my lack of "explaining
abilities" or my "frenchness" might get in the way.

I sent a copy of this to the mailing list so if someone has an idea
please feel free to send it in.

Projet DeepLow
Maîtrise Informatique
Université de Savoie (France)