TexFileOut problems

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 15:54:05 UTC 2001

I need to preface this by saying that I know nothing about Latex:
messing about with pure tex has about as much appeal for me as editing
raw postcript or juggling with a chainsaw.

But TexFileOut would seem to offer the possibility of outputting a .tex
file and getting nice formatted output of class files. I could even
convert them to LyX format and do further editing (IMHO the output
produced by LyX is still superior to that produced by any other kind of
document processor).

So, I load in the change set, pop open a browser and from the menu
TexFileOut (for example) Collections-Text Symbol.

This results in a file "Symbol class.tex" in my home directory. Of
course, "Symbol class.tex" is an illegal file name under any *nix. So I
change it to "Symbol_class.tex" (legal under any OS) in Kde.

Opening up the file I see something that looks like a .tex file:

% TeXFileOut version 20000201 by Andres Valloud (SqR!)

% Class definition submitted for class: Symbol.
{\sf
\noindent {\ssbf String variableByteSubclass: }Symbol

\item{} Category: Collections-Text
\item{} Class variable names: SymbolTable
}

% Comments submitted.

\bigskip
\medskip

\noindent {\ssbf Class comments}

\bigskip
\smallskip

\noindent {\rm \noindent I represent Strings that are created uniquely.
Thus, someString asSymbol $=$$=$ someString asSymbol.

}

\bigskip
\medskip

\noindent {\ssbf Class protocol}

\bigskip
\smallskip

\noindent {\ssbf Methods for category: access}

//snipped! this is one big file!//

To my naive eyes this looks OK, so I run latex on it:

john at molehole:~ > latex Symbol_class.tex
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(Symbol_class.tex
LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1
Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, n
ohyphenation, loaded.
! Undefined control sequence.
l.4 {\sf

?

And so on. Forcing continuation by hitting the return key several times
results in further error messages and a .dvi file which consists of
nothing more than a series of arrows, bars, -, +, X, == signs, and
finally a tiny bit of text which reads:

{$P.
Se.
$n.}
	{$P.
$c.
$n}
as:
Sym-
bol

All of which is partially enclosed in a rectangle which might just
represent a page.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Do I have the wrong version of Latex?
Am I being Maced on from a great height?

Cheers

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."