Morphic "performance" [sic]

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Wed Jun 20 18:46:56 UTC 2001

A 50% overall improvement in Morphic would be a start, and 30% lighter in
space might turn into even more performance on cache-light processors.  I
wonder what the complaints would be?  I suppose that if there were a Morphic
plugin, people might complain about having to change C code to affect
changes in Morphic.  Andreas, what were you thinking?  :-)

With respect to Morphic performance, Tim has said on a couple of occasions
that, in his opinion, a 4x overall improvement in "normal case performance"
could be achieved, but that "somebody has to have the time to tackle it."
One area he mentioned was that Morphic uses floating point extensively, and
that is a major problem for some processors.  He quoted a 10x drop in
performance going from real to emulated floating point, in one experiment.

And no, I wasn't trying to cajole Tim into doing the work.  I really did
interpret his comments the other night as suggesting that he was "in the
mood" to tackle Morphic's performance problems.

	--- Noel