Nebraska question

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Jun 25 16:25:46 UTC 2001

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> >I've been playing around with Nebraska a little and have a question.
> >
> >Is it possible with the code as it now stands to have an image serving
> >out multiple active worlds (so that, for example, two different users
> >can be browsing two different projects?  And that they can change the
> >project they are looking at without affecting the project the other user
> >is viewing?)
> >
> >If it isn't, how much would I need to do (roughly) to implement this?
> >
> >I am wondering whether Nebraska could be used as a sort of graphical
> >MUD/MOO, with projects being similar to 'rooms'.
>
> Russell -
>
> This is a great question.  There are two parts to the answer, as I see things:
>
> 1.  We would need to be able to have multiple projects active at the same time.  This is already possible in certain ways.

You can test to enter a project active: Click and hold down over a
ProjectViewMorph
and a menu pops up. Select enter active and the project is activated but
scaled down
within the current project.

>An interesting aspect to what you seek is that it is in this sense
equivalent to another significant
>potential improvement to Squeak:  namely, running multiple projects in
multiple OS windows.

> 2.  The other thing that is required is also equivalent to another important current need in Squeak, and that is to run separate name spaces in separate projects so that multiple projects will not cause reference conflicts.  We expect to have this out in the system imminently.  It is only my being somewhat scattered that has caused it to wait this long :(.
>
> Therefore, I don't think it would be that hard to do what you ask, and I think it could be a lot of fun.

It would be cool if we could have a permanet Nebraska image up with net access.
This would have to be on a system that would reboot by it self when it
goes down:-)
I could do this if I had a extra computer available (donations accespted)
I think loots of people have only one computer and have not tested
Nebraska at all.

Karl