a morphic tutorial in morphic

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 04:44:54 UTC 2001

Lex Spoon wrote:

> John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Works the same for me under Linux. But I'm getting *very* slow response:
> > I did "browse morph class" and I really thought Squeak had locked up!
> > (I've probably got too many projects from Squeakland loaded). I have
> > memory 70mk. Any ideas how high I can push it with X and Kde running? I
> > note I can't run Gimp and Squeak and Kde together anymore. 128Mb RAM.
> >

> Well, it's not *real* fast on my computer, so maybe you're already
> seeing it as good as it gets!  Two things you might try, though, are:
>
>         1. Run Squeak with more memory, e.g. "Squeak -memory 30m
> Squeak3.0.image"
>
>         2. Get the latest VM.  The way mouse input works has changed, and an
> old VM plus a new image might just be a slow combination.

Thanks Lex, but I'm running Squeak 3.1 with the latest change set (and
image) with 70m, so...... it does look like this is as good as it gets
without buying more memory -- praise the Lord, it's cheap right now! But
unloading the Squeakland stuff (I can always put it back when I need it)
certainly got things up to a reasonable speed again. Another thing I've
been toying with is running with a less memory intensive window manager
and doing more through Squeak.

But it's a really nice tutorial: I've not worked all the way through it
yet, but already learnt stuff. One thing: on my system, the behaviour of
the oval morph within the blue rectangle morph isn't as you predict
until I embed it in "morph" (the blue one, that is).

Cheers

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."