Experiences and questions with the Morph Tutorial in Morphic

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 27 17:51:37 UTC 2001

Thanks for your thoughts, Ross!

> 1.  On the superswiki I wanted to find out a little more about some of the
> projects, and tried selecting a project and hitting browser changes.  It
> didn't work.  Should it?  Is there another way to get some info without
> haven't been able to reproduce it).

Heh.  I'll let someone else take this one.  :)  You just tried to treat
a project like a changeset, but now that you mention it the menus do
make it sound reasonable.

> 2. When I override drawOn: around p. 3 I get errors and then a red box with
> yellow cross lines.  After that, I can't seem to get the drawOn: code to be
> called again (I put in a self halt, and it wasn't hit.  I think eventually
> I did something that hit it, the I had to kill the image, presumably b/c it
> got caught in a loop).  I see the morph gets an extension attribute that
> it's in error, and if I delete that attribute I can redisplay.  This seems
> pretty awkward (though I know that getting in a loop when you can't display
> is awkward too).

Ah, of course.  If your drawOn: method has a bug, the morphic system
will stop drawing your morph.  You need to fix the drawOn: method and
then do "start drawing again" from the grey halo handle.

This should be fixed in my tutorial...

> 3. The first time through I started trying to resize things so I could see
> more of the workspace with the text.  Somehow (probably when I clicked on
> the pick up handle) things get pulled out of their proper embedding, and I
> never could get them back.  The only way I've found to restore the project
> was to pull it in again.  I know the tutorial didn't call for such messing
> around, but I thought I'd pass it on, since others might be similarly tempted.

Hmm, I wonder if turning "system window embed" turned off would cause
extra difficulties?  I need to check.  Frankly, SystemWindow's seem to
be un-morphic in a few ways.  Not wanting to embed properly is one of
them.

At any rate, whatever the cause is, you've certainly had an *authentic*
Morphic experience.  :)  It might have been nicer if it hadn't been
quite so soon, though!

Cheers,

Lex Spoon