TexFileOut problems

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Fri Jun 8 01:40:02 UTC 2001

John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:
	This results in a file "Symbol class.tex" in my home directory. Of
	course, "Symbol class.tex" is an illegal file name under any *nix. So I
	change it to "Symbol_class.tex" (legal under any OS) in Kde.

No, "Symbol class.tex" is a perfectly legal file name under any *nix and has
been at least since the days of Version 6 back in the late 70s.  If you try
to mention it in a shell, you'll have to quote it
	'Symbol class.tex'
	"Symbol class.tex"
	Symbol\ class.tex
but that's all.  Whether TeX (not originally a UNIX program) likes it is
of course another matter.
'
	Opening up the file I see something that looks like a .tex file:

	% TeXFileOut version 20000201 by Andres Valloud (SqR!)

	% Class definition submitted for class: Symbol.
	{\sf
	\noindent {\ssbf String variableByteSubclass: }Symbol

No, it is clearly *part* of a TeX document.
LaTeX documents must begin with a \documentclass (or backwards-compatible
\documentstyle) declaration.

	Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Do I have the wrong version of Latex?
	Am I being Maced on from a great height?

The result is not meant to be a stand-alone document, but to be embedded
in a document which already has the right class and pulls in the right
macro definitions.