[EXPERIMENTAL!][ENH] HintingBrowser 0.2

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Jun 2 15:27:25 UTC 2001

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> What could be interesting to add is:
>     - abstract methods
Done. Wasn't sure whether methods that call #shouldNotImplement also
count as abstract. What do you think?

>     - extends (overide + call super)
It now says SU if the method calls upon super. This raises two issues -
1. For the other indications, if you get them you don't need to know the
methods complexity. Should one get things like SU3 for a complex, super
calling method?
2. SU isn't exactly like extends, because some methods call super
differentMethod. Is this an important distinction?

>     - override without super call
>     - delegate
define delegate... (same parameters? same name? or just only a single
send? does it have to return the result of the delegation?)

BTW, you have better ideas about how to display these things? I think
the single-letter-flag idea is past it's usefulness ;-)

> Stef
Daniel

from preamble:

"Change Set:		HintingBrowser 0.2
Date:				2 June 2001
Author:			Daniel Vainsencher

Experimental!!
Adds hints about the contents of methods in the Browser.
A - accessor
S - just return self
C - just return some constant
P - a primitive
a number - regular code, higher number mean more complicated code.
Now also:
ABS - the method is a subclassResponsibility
SU - the method calls upon the super class

This is very alpha code, much hackery, not meant for inclusion in update
stream...
Having gotten this clear, this code can say various things -
1. We can get some information more easily than entering the method,
especially when browsing code. The info found by this version is only
the trivially available, we could do more.
2. Cute icons might be better than letters
3. A smarter PluggableList would be able to get lists of things other
than texts, and display each appropriately - (not like in this code by a
fixed mapping) maybe by asking the list items, maybe by being configured
with the right morph Factory by the application"!