Out of space + other flakiness

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Jun 30 05:32:18 UTC 2001

Thanks.  I think things are back under control now.  So the rest of
this is making conversation.

A handy thing I found was "Smalltalk pointersTo:" to trace object
references back.

I killed almost all the projects, most of which were not reachable
through clicking on navigator windows.  (They did show on the menu).
I now have 5 Mg free (which still seems kind of small), and the image
saves to a 14Mg file.  This included killing the Intro to Squeak
project and its subprojects.

I thought the current VMs could grow as needed.  I'm surprised to see
that it apparently can't.

Among the oddities encountered:
I frequently ended up with two squeak processes running when it hung.
I was a bit surprised to find it launching separate processes.

TheWorldMenu was pointing to one of the projects I hand't used much.

I got into some very weird debugger states, where it apparently
switched the identifiers of variables.  The code ran OK when not in
the debugger.  While inspecting the results of Project allInstances
I entered the following in the bottom pane:
#(2 11 12 13 14) do: [:i |
	|aProject|
	Transcript show: i printString; tab.
	aProject _ self at: i.
	self halt.
	Transcript show: aProject printString; cr.
	ProjectHistory forget: aProject.
	Project deletingProject: aProject.].

When I looked in the debugger, i contained a project, and aProject had
the number 2 in it--the reverse of what should have been. The code
also acted this way--when I went forward I got errors because objects
weren't the right types. When I removed the halt, the sensible values
came out on the transcript, and the most of the requested deletions
did occur.

Some object sizing below.
On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:57:33PM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:13:41 -0700 Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> >I've hunted around for tools
> >or convenience methods that would give me a more complete picture of
> >object memory--all I have now is the # free bytes ( '1,148,708 bytes
> >available').  I'd like to know how much memory it thinks its using,
> >the amount each class's instances are taking and such.
>
> Ross,
>
> Try
>
> 	Smalltalk spaceTallyTo: 'somefile.txt'.
> or
> 	Smalltalk printSpaceAnalysis: 1000 on: 'STspace.text0'.
>
> BTW, 1.1 meg free is not a lot.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob

Here's my top printSpaceAnalysis before:
Class                           code space # instances  inst space percent
String                               16824       69965       3482093    18.1
ByteArray                             3192         559       3276681    17.0
CompiledMethod                        7578       41735       2691360    14.0
Array                                 1494       48182       2288068    11.9
Bitmap                                3277        1526       2025812    10.5
Symbol                                3610       32939        663867     3.5

and after

String                               16824       68212       3365324    22.5
CompiledMethod                        7578       41715       2690236    18.0
Array                                 1478       42607       2139148    14.3
Bitmap                                3277         825       1784456    12.0
Symbol                                3610       32937        663822     4.4

By far the biggest win was ByteArray, which lost over 2.6Mg of memory
in 92 objects.  What were those likely holding?  bit maps (not the
class, but something related)?  I'm guessing the strings are source
code. I also almost halved the number of Points and Rectangles.