About the wonderful internet browser

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sat Jun 16 06:15:10 UTC 2001

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:44:00 +0200, Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se>
wrote:

> Do you use the latest morphic layout framework, that appeared in
> 2.9alpha- 3.0 - 3.1alpha somewhere ? This framework seems flexible
> and powerfull but I have not fully understood it yet :-)

Yes, that's exactly my thoughts on it as well. I'm sure that somebody
somewhere understands how it all works, but it sure isn't obvious how you
make things work programatically. I spent many frustrating hours trying to
make text morphs do what I want them to do, and it still doesn't completely
make sense to me.

I think one of the main problems with morphic is that most of the effort
seems to have gone into the interactive, drag-and-drop side of building
user interfaces, which of course is pretty much useless for laying out
HTML...

The web browser originally didn't use Squeak widgets at all -- I did all
the layout myself by drawing the layout objects directly onto a window.
When I controlled the layout, it was relatively easy to do things like
tables, and embedded layout (tables within tables) pretty much just worked.

Later,
Jon

           http://www.huv.com