Community and Artifact Define One Another

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 1 06:47:10 UTC 2001

Hi all!

--- Stephen Pair <spair at advantive.com> wrote:
> I was not attempting to rewrite history (indeed, attempts at rewriting
> history really boil my blood...so please be careful when making such
> accusations).
>
> I guess it comes down to your interpretation of what exactly constitutes a
> fork.  My definition of a fork is any line of development that occurs in
> parallel to any other line of development.  When you download Squeak and
> begin writing code, you have just forked.  (this very technical view of
> forking is perhaps influenced by my experience in developing source code
> management systems)

I would personally call that a branch. But that may be me being influenced by CVS terminology.

[SNIP]
> So, regardless of what the StSq people may say about forks, according to my
> definition, they forked long ago.  And, I hope they sync up soon and often.

:-) In my world I consider a fork to be more of a statement that "we are going our own way here
and do not intend to go back" - or something like that. And as far as I know/can tell such a
statement hasn't really been made by StSq - on the opposite actually. But hey, I haven't been
involved for so long. :-)

On the other hand there are priority differences between SqC and StSq and probably other parties
involved too in Squeak (of course) so I can envision scenarios in the future where some forking
may occur.

On the other hand, one thing to realize here is that the stuff currently being feverishly worked
on in StSq (at least three brilliant guys working very hard and producing working results) will
hopefully make it much easier to deal with dependencies and packaging which will work as an
"antidote" against any ideas of forking! So... anybody accusing StSq for forking blabla should
keep that in mind I think - StSq is actually working hard to PREVENT forking in the future.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek