newbie question - killing a process

Rosemary Michelle Simpson rms at cs.brown.edu
Sat Jun 30 20:51:16 UTC 2001

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Bob Arning wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:35:27 -0400 (EDT) Rosemary Michelle Simpson <rms at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> >How do you kill a process whose objects have gone away?  I created a
> >clock process (part of Mark's examples) and then made the mistake of
> >quitting without terminating the process.  Now I have an orphan clock that
> >wont go away.  I did as he suggested and did:
> >
> >	Smalltalk garbageCollect.
> >	Process allInstances inspect.
> >
> >This produced a long array of 34 processes, most of which say "a Process
> >in UndefinedObject>>DoIt".  Mark says to 'find the one you want (probably
> >near the bottom of the list) and send it terminate."
> >
> >My question is:
> >
> >How do I select a receiver from this array to terminate?
>
> Rosemary,
>
> In the bottom pane of the inspector, do this:
>
> 	(self at: n) terminate
>
> where n is the index in the array of the Process you want to kill.
>
> FWIW, 34 processes seems like a very high number. Have you repeated the example you gave 20 or 30 times?

It gets even stranger.  (1) the number of processes goes up and up and
then down - it went as high as 85 and as low as 20.  (2) doing DoIt on
(self at: n) terminate for the processes labeled "a Process in
UndefinedObject>>DoIt" turns the comment to "a Process in nil" but even
doing that to all has not gotten rid of the clock and new processes seem
to be being spawned.  I feel like the sorcerer's apprentice...  Of course,
I could trash this image and bring in another from the CD, but I want to
understand how to work with the processes.

Thanks!

R.