Handling big morphs

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Jun 29 08:47:02 UTC 2001

I have some items to display that will take up too much real estate.  What
are the standard ways to handle this?

I'm thinking of solutions like
* window or morph with scrollbars
* no scrollbars, but item relocates as you move the mouse (maybe it moves
the point where the mouse is to the center?).

Then there are more application specific tricks I might do, like having
parts popup with greater detail under some conditions, and then be
swallowed when I move focus away.

But I'm really only looking for appropriate class and usage pattern for the
vanilla patterns.  Also, if anyone has any wisdom about good metaphors, I'd
love to hear it.

Background: I'm working on a priorities planning tool.  (Even though it
probably shouldn't be a priority for  me!)  One of the things I'm doing is
classifying tasks in various ways, such as the part of my life they deal
with and the kind of interaction they involve (e.g., people or
machines).  Each of these sets of spheres is (conceptually) a hierarchical
tree, with more detailed divisions as you go down.  But the trees get kind
of large.

That's my last question for the night!