[BUG][FIX]Unstable Squeak Won't Load Modules on Macintosh

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Mon Jun 4 11:30:07 UTC 2001

Andrew,

>  (It would
> be nice if you also provided under the Squeak-L license the old fonts,
> BTW -- I'm not a fan of Chicago.)

All the generic Mac fonts are there, look in the appearance/system fonts
menu. Including a New York clone.

> It is clear that it manifests a lot
> of hard work (albeit not a lot of serious testing, unit or otherwise, on
> the Macintosh!!!) and some great ideas.

I guess John wasn't kidding about the in-progress state of it. I think
things will work better if we get a decent module/repository system going,
and I hear that someone is working on it...

> 1.  Startup.  As noted, on MacOS 8.X and 9.X, you need to set the files
> owner and type properly to double-click the executables.  This is a

I whipped up a Mac package and put it next to the zip, saving people the
trouble. I have also made a utility that will fix the file types:

<ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu//pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.0/mac/extraFiles/FixSqueakFile
sForMac.sit>

> 3. Problem with file list.  After selecting a file on any of the "0.1"
> files, selecting more on the file menu gets a walkback.  To fileIn the
> file, I have to select the entire file in the file browser and fileIn
> the selection in the text pane.

SimpleServiceEntry>>selector

    ^selector

takes care of that. Stephane Ducasse noted that this could be done better
but that wouldn't work with the current menu system with a realistic amount
of effort.

> 4. Suggestions for SUnit testing.  In earlier versions of SUnit tester
> GUIs, I was able to filter by category and method those tests that would
> be run in the "Run All" button.

If that already exists (as it seems from what you write), someone can drop
sarkela at home.com a note that they want to contribute it.

Henrik