Morphs differ based on how brought to life?

Dan Shafer dshafer at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 05:09:14 UTC 2001

--- "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Dan> closePlayer
>
> Dan>     super delete.
>
> I'm pretty sure Kent Beck's "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns" tells
> why "super XXX" should only be sent from within "XXX".  But this
> smells here.  I'd start by asking what you are REALLY doing there.
> This is not sending a message to the parent morph.  This is re-sending
> a message further up the inheritance chain, except that you're not
> re-sending anything, which is why it is suspect.

Couldn't agree more, Randal, but after spending several hours trying to figure
out how to get a ScorePlayerMorph to get rid of its bad self, that was all I
could discover. Class Morph contains the delete method and its comment would
_seem_ to indicate that this is how deletion is handled. Again, lack of docs
and fumbling about lead to erroneous conclusions to be sure but I don't see any
other way to handle this.

I'm open to suggestions, though. This can't be so hard; it's in Chapter 2 of a
primer, fergodsake!