Help! Re: True Type Fonts

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Mar 19 20:09:59 UTC 2001

On Monday 19 March 2001 11:33, David N. Smith \(IBM\) wrote:

> I tried this again, hoping it had been fixed or that I was holding my mouth
> right. Still poor luck:
>
> * It doesn't work on a Mac at all, even in 3.1alpha.
>
> * On Windoze it sort of works (using 3.0) but I still get what looks like a
> thin black line filled with grey, and the grey slops over onto the line
> sometimes. It is basically unreadable lumps of grey at 12 point with some
> of the black border line showing.  At 48 point the letters are clearer and
> readable but are still a partial black outline with grey filling. I've
> tried Arial and Verdana with the same result. (I'm running Win 2000 Pro but
> had the same results on Win 95 months ago).

Which were you trying? Using installTTF:asTextStyle:sizes: ?
This doesn't do any hinting, so it tends to look pretty bad at small point
sizes. And at least on my system, I have to have the display depth set to 32
for the converted fonts to look like something other than what you describe
(I just found this out right now).

Are you getting a good looking result out of the sample of the TrueType font
from the FileList? You can bring up its halos and get a new sample string
from the center purple halo. This string can be changed (using string: ) if
you just need an occasional headline in a nice font.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com