[newbie] discoveries

Karl Wilson khwilson at bigfoot.com
Sun Mar 18 17:14:04 UTC 2001

Dan Ingalls "life" in the Games folder on the CD makes a pretty nice
visual way to get a sense of how Morphic is performing. I was finding
that it would work nicely for about a second and then started getting
very sluggish.

So I began to search for suggestions about Morphic sluggishness.

One tip was to make sure bit depth of Squeak was the same as bit
depth of system.

On my Mac I can choose 256 gray, 256 color, thousands, millions - and in
Squeak I can choose 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 - which had me stumped for awhile.

The crucial link -> 8 = 256 colors, 16 = thousands, 32 = millions.

I set Mac on thousands of colors and Squeak on 16 bit depth - and
thought I had it licked...

... but then I unplugged my powerbook and while running on batteries
I went back and ran "life" and the "music demo" and I was back to
square one - so even though the above is correct - it was not the
problem I was having - something to do with running from the battery.

So eventually I go to the energy manager and start changing things.
"allow processor cycling" was the culprit.

But this makes me wonder, why doesn't Morphic tell my powerbook that
it needs to keep thinking about stuff? I don't really know what
"allow processor cycling" means, but my guess is that it allows the
CPU to sort of go to sleep when no demands are being made of it - but
I am running "life", so why not give Squeak what she needs?

Karl