Squeak newbie questions

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Mar 10 20:20:21 UTC 2001

On Saturday 10 March 2001 04:07, simon.bates at hushmail.com wrote:

> Do  people use Squeak as their primary enviroment and the image as the
primary place to store data?

I'm sure there's somebody who does this. There are people who use Celeste as
their only email reader. And Squeak has other "applications" inside it; if
Squeak does what you need to do, I could see it being your only environment.

However, currently there is a lack of shareability in Squeak: if an object is
in the image, it isn't accessible to other Squeaks or to other processes in
general. So if you hose your image, your data is lost.

Using external files, databases, or remote object communications can help
with this. Certainly if there were a good object database available for
Squeak it would go a long ways to making a robust environment for long-term
data manipulation.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA