How to build 3.0 Unix VM with FFI working?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Mar 15 18:51:35 UTC 2001

I managed to get the StarSqueakPlugin to work by building it externally using
	StarSqueakPlugin translate
and then moving the directory StarSqueakPlugin (which contained
StarSqueakPlugin/StarSqueakPlugin.c) into the src/generated directory.

Then I did ../src/unix/configure, and a make, and a make install. And it
worked.

So I figured I'd get my FFI working again. I repeated the above:
	FFIPlugin translate
then moved the SqueakFFIPrims directory (which contained SqueakFFIPrims.c)
into my src/generated directory, did ../src/unix/configure, and a make, and a
make install. This installed a SqueakFFIPrims.so file.

But it didn't work. I get a "callout mechanism is not available". Hmm...

So I looked at the src/unix/PLUGINS file. Hmm... it has a line about the FFI
plugin. So I commented that line out and tried (configure and make) again.
That didn't do anything at all. So I did a "make clean" and rebuilt
everything.

Ran into problems because the plugin subdirectories weren't getting cleaned;
I had to do this manually.

Still didn't work. OK, I'll try it as an internal file.
	FFIPlugin translateLocally
then removed the ../generated/SqueakFFIPrims directory, uncommented the line
in src/unix/Plugins, and moved the SqueakFFIPrims.c file into
../src/generated.

Did a make clean, manually removed the plugin directories under build, did a
configure. Did a make.

It still didn't work.

So: can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?

Why can't the FFI plugin be installed as easily as the StarSqueak plugin?

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com