New(?) Carbon VM and Mac OS X

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Fri Mar 30 05:26:56 UTC 2001

Perhaps everyone else is doing this already, but its new to me...

I am migrating from OS 9 to OS X, and in the process I decided to build a
Carbon version of Squeak 3.0 from the sources using CodeWarrior 6.0.

My build is a CFM-Carbonized Squeak, meaning it works either on MacOS
machines that have the "CarbonLib" library installed (I tested with MacOS
9.0.4 and CarbonLib 1.0.4) or with Mac OS X (I tested with MacOS X final
1.0).

I can make the build available if anyone is interested.  It works just
fine under OS 9, and it works under OS X (without needing OS X's classic
mode).  There is one serious problem under OS X, though--the VM seems to
get a constant stream of mouse clicks.  Somehow it seems the logic for
events believes that the mouse is always pressed. I haven't had the
time to look into this yet, and if anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate
them.

BTW:  I downloaded the Marcel's Cocoa port for OS X final, but for some
reason it crashes every time I choose "Save and Quit."  I've yet tried to
debug or recompile.  My goal isn't to complain about the Cocoa port.
In my development situation, I need a Squeak that I can put on a disk and
easily migrate between OS X and OS 8 & 9 machines.

This is my second carbon port (the first was one of my own applications,
and required considerably more work.)  However, the Squeak Carbon port was
very easy (thanks all!) and certainly more fun. :)

-Eric