[BUG] Processor activeProcess returns "a Process in nil"

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Mar 22 20:31:17 UTC 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:15:47 -0800 Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
>> >Unfortunately, this breaks:
>> >	MessageTally spyOnProcess: Processor activeProcess forMilliseconds: 4000
>> >which I'm using in the ProcessBrowser...
>>
>> How so? Looks like it's working here.
>
>I get a "message not understood: receiver" when I evaluate
>	MessageTally spyOnProcess: Processor activeProcess forMilliseconds: 4000
>in a workspace.
>It contains code like:
>	aProcess suspendedContext receiver
>which blows up.

Ah, yes.

well, if you rearrange things like this:

	Timer _ [
		self
			class: aProcess suspendedContext receiver class
			method: aProcess suspendedContext method.
		[...] whileTrue.
			sem signal]
				forkAt: (ObservedProcess priority + 1 min: Processor highestPriority).
	"activate the probe and wait for it to finish"
	sem wait.
	time _ Time millisecondClockValue - time0

then it will work. However, I'm not sure the example make a lot of sense since the

	sem wait

is going to hang the process which is being monitored until the monitoring is complete.

Cheers,
Bob