New(?) Carbon VM and Mac OS X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 30 20:39:47 UTC 2001

>Perhaps everyone else is doing this already, but its new to me...
>
>I am migrating from OS 9 to OS X, and in the process I decided to build a
>Carbon version of Squeak 3.0 from the sources using CodeWarrior 6.0.
>
>My build is a CFM-Carbonized Squeak, meaning it works either on MacOS
>machines that have the "CarbonLib" library installed (I tested with MacOS
>9.0.4 and CarbonLib 1.0.4) or with Mac OS X (I tested with MacOS X final
>1.0).
>
>I can make the build available if anyone is interested.  It works just
>fine under OS 9, and it works under OS X (without needing OS X's classic
>mode).  There is one serious problem under OS X, though--the VM seems to
>get a constant stream of mouse clicks.  Somehow it seems the logic for
>events believes that the mouse is always pressed. I haven't had the
>time to look into this yet, and if anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate
>them.
>
>BTW:  I downloaded the Marcel's Cocoa port for OS X final, but for some
>reason it crashes every time I choose "Save and Quit."  I've yet tried to
>debug or recompile.  My goal isn't to complain about the Cocoa port.
>In my development situation, I need a Squeak that I can put on a disk and
>easily migrate between OS X and OS 8 & 9 machines.
>
>This is my second carbon port (the first was one of my own applications,
>and required considerably more work.)  However, the Squeak Carbon port was
>very easy (thanks all!) and certainly more fun. :)
>
>-Eric

There is some changes to the event stuff in the 3.0.10 change set
which is pending posting. This may or may not fix this problem.
However I'll look into it Tuesday or so.

I'm planing on looking at the Squeak VM build via the Mac OS-X
developer tools this coming week to see if we can build both an PEF
binary for OS-9 and a mach-o version for OS-X. I just need a few days
spare here to setup a machine with the official versions of
everything and start building somewhere in my spare time before
Smalltalk Solutions (Hah)

OS-8 is more of an issue. I didn't pay too much attention to versions
of carbonlib when using various OS calls so I suspect some things
just won't work with system 8.0 for example because of the version of
carbonlib supported on that system. More testing is required to get
things right. If people want to help in the compatibility testing
that would be great, just send me a note. Now that OS-X is out it's
easier to tinker with/talk about, without me violating some Apple NDA.