[Fwd: [squeak] running squeaklets on linux]

Jason Steffler jaboir at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 17:59:09 UTC 2001

--- Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:

> Somone posted this on comp.lang.smalltalk a few days
> ago, and there was no response, so I figured I'd
> forward it to the list.  (I'm only slightly familiar
> with the squeaklet stuff.)

Thanks Doug,  I just recently got added to this list.
Here's some more related info:

> 2) So, downloaded the npsqueak sources from:
> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=5506 (yep,
> realize these are dated,
> have email into Bert requesting latest-n-greatest

Bert was kind enough to point me towards the
latest-n-greatest.  When I get time (sigh, probably
not for 2 weeks now) I'm going to download 3.0, and
try recompiling the new plugin.

> 5) First problem: image complains it can not find
> the .changes or .source files.

Bert also mentioned a snippet to fix this problem,
will try it and/or will try setting prefs to no
notify.

> Q2) Shouldn't the image look for these files in it's
> current dir?  How can I reset this?

No update on this yet, still looks for full absolute
path.

http://www.squeaklet.com/NPSqueak/examples/hangman/simple/hangman.html,
> no hangman squeaklet comes up, just a green
> background (closed all windows
> when saving image)

I tried the 3.0 plugin for Windoze (using Netscape on
both linux and Windoze, also tried IE on Windoze) from
http://www.squeaklet.com/NPSqueak/plugin/detect/detect.html?plugin/launch.html
just now, and have the exact same problem here.

Also tried an old 2.4b Windoze plugin, and have the
same problem.

BTW - I like this download facility, I'd be interested
in helping it get setup for linux (RedHat anyway) if
somebody wants to contact me.

> 9) When I try Bert's test page locally, I do not get
> this error, but when I
> try test pages on squeaklet.com, I get: an error
> that a plugin type of the mime
> type text/plain was not found.

I still get the error when trying Bert's test page
(via net - pop up window one at:
http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/%7Ebert/squeak/plugin/test/plugintest.html)
with 3.0 and old 2.4b on Windoze.

=====
---
Jason Steffler
 Reason never changed a man's opinion which by reason he never acquired