Difference between Morphs and bad programming

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Mar 27 22:44:26 UTC 2001

It's important to remember what important about MVC (and MVP).  With MVC,
you enable the independent evolution and deployment of an object and it's
representation in some context (in this case a GUI).

MVC was designed in a time when much less was known about prototype based
languages, delegation, and context based behavior.  So, MVC has it's
limitations.  And, because the base language/VM (Squeak) lacks some of these
advanced language features, Morphic also suffers a bit.  But, Morphic itself
imposes no limitations wrt using an MVC design.  Thomas makes some excellent
points along these lines.

I don't think anyone on this list would argue that model-view separation is
not a good thing, it's just that Morphic lives in this sort of language
purgatory that makes neither MVC, nor Morphic ideal (but based on where
languages and UIs are headed, I'd say Morhpic is a better bet).

- Stephen