smalltalk76 (was: [newbie] how does Object implement new?)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Mar 30 02:08:28 UTC 2001

On Thursday 29 March 2001 18:42, Stephen Pair wrote:
> Are there any papers (or code) for Smalltalk-76 on the web?  I'm sure
> they've been announced before (and wasn't there an implementation of
> it for Squeak?), but I've forgotten.

This one is great:

http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/St76/Smalltalk76ProgrammingSystem.html

but doesn't mention meta-classes. On page 34 of Alan Kay's "The Early
History of Smalltalk" paper there is a drawing labeled "Smalltalk-76
Metaphysics". All classes were instances of the class Class object,
which was a subclass of the class Object. Little Smalltalk initially
had the same design (which makes all classes have the exact same set of
class methods) but has moved to a more Smalltalk-80-like system in
version 4.

There is a simulation in Squeak of Smalltalk-72, not 76.

-- Jecel