Squeak on tinies (was Re: Squeak on iPaq-Linux Update)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Mar 27 17:51:22 UTC 2001

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

> I'm curious what people are using Squeak for on PDA's, and how.
> I chose the tiniest fonts I could find and still the basic tools
> seemjust too big to fit well in 320X240...
> I mean Browsers, the PDAMorph, and Celeste, which I've tried...
>
> How do you do it? Screen shots would be appreciated...

In addition to the other suggestions (such as the Lucy font), you'll probably want to stick with flop-out scrollbars to save space on the screen.  Or, if you prefer inboard, using the narrow & hidden scrollbar options will save a fair amount of space.

(It looks like the PDAMorph needs more work before it can really be used on a PDA... at least, it should open up at 320x240 by default and be usable at that size.)

Also, instead of the regular system browser, you might want to try BobsBrowser, which is a menu-driven browser with no list panes.  It might be better suited to a small screen, since the code pane can take up the whole screen.  It's available at http://www.charm.net/~arning/BobsBrowser.14Apr1206pm.cs.txt .  (Unfortunately, it was written awhile ago and will certainly need some updating to work with 3.0... for example, the hierarchy widget code could be removed, since that's now in the base image.)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com