MacVM 3.0MT8

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Mar 2 15:22:19 UTC 2001

On 2 Mar 2001, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Randal> The instructions on http://www.squeaklet.com/NPSqueak/install.htm
> Randal> (which seems to be the only instructions around) tell me to do
> Randal> something with src/build.st, which is *not* found in the linked .zip
> Randal> file.  Do I still need to use "PluginLauncher activate" before I save
> Randal> the image?
>
> Bert> No. Actually Michael's instructions start with "You need either the
> Bert> prepared 2.8 image or a current image". A version 3 image is current.
>
> "no" to what part?  Do I still need to use "PluginLauncher activate"
> before I save the image?
>
> These are VooDoo instructions.  They probably make perfect sense to
> you, but I'm not up on how a plugin "plugs in".  And I know how much I
> hate technical support, but if you'd just help me out a bit here by
> being precise, I could sleep in a little later each day. :)

These instructions are from "the old days". Now you just need a current
image. No "PluginLauncher activate" or "src/build.st" or anything.

> Bert> That's a bug I reported a while back. The security manager
> Bert> switches the stream to binary in CodeLoader>>installSourceFile:,
> Bert> so a ByteArray is read instead of a String, which does not
> Bert> understand #unzipped. The fix is to switch the stream to text
> Bert> mode before unzipping.
>
> Is that something I can do or set?

Of course. It's Open Source, you know? ;-)

> Is there a changeset for that?

Probably not. I'll post one right now.

> Is it just not yet in the update stream?  So someone broke it going
> from 2.8 to 3.1, and it just needs to get unbroken?

Exactly. The new SecurityManager broke it.

> In which case the phrase above of "current image" is not applicable.
> So we're back to me wondering just what is meant. :)

Err, yes. I mean, no. What?  ~X-)

-- Bert