[BUG]Re: [updates] 36 for 3.1alpha

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sat Mar 10 19:15:38 UTC 2001

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:54:49 +0100 Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
>I think I traced it down to a lowspace problem with mac os... Does the
>plugin load
>outside Squeaks memory partition ? At least the freeze on my system
>is total! Everything locks up. The funny part was that it seemed to
>happen
>when I used the new fileSelector.... I have to keep on looking.
>When the freeze happens no debug log or anything is given. Makes it really
>hard and slow to track down, with alot of system restarts :-(

Karl,

I don't know the complete answer, but I did some poking arouns with the debugger and found that opening a movie in the player ate up about 400K of the memory inside the Squeak partition, but outside the Squeak object memory. This is the space reserved for things the VM needs in order to deal with the outside world. Since it appeared to have been about 500K to start with, that's a big bite.

If you want to try an experiment, see what

	n1 _ Smalltalk extraVMMemory

reports in your image. Then do

	Smalltalk extraVMMemory: n1 + aFewHundredKBytes

save your image and restart.

Cheers,
Bob