Native GUI Squeak?

Frank-Lesser squeak at lesser-software.com
Mon Mar 19 02:15:59 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,

I am a Smalltalker and I like to introduce me with my small developer team
to the Squeak community.

We wrote native Smalltalk W32 Bindings, which we started years ago, when
Digitalk start to struggle.
We keep this stuff synchronized with Windows versions - up to W2K.

After discovering squeak - which impressed me quite a lot - I was
immediately thinking porting all our stuff to Squeak. Now it seems that the
core bindings are done.

Squeak should offer native bindings to Windows.

I developed under Windows since its early days - but I dislike the whole
stuff more and more.
It is lava flow, full of marketing stuff and I spent much of my life-time
restarting, installing etc.

Squeak's UI is not bad - it is just different - someone who start with
squeak will have to relearn
how to operate an UI.

On the one side I was happy to escape from Windows - but for developing
applications I was forced to use
windows - so I hope to show up a W32 Squeak soon ( like Dolphin and Visual
Smalltalk ).

I am afraid to give it to squeak community because I don't like OS-vendor
lock-in in squeak.
On the other hand it can be extended and will give Smalltalkers an
opportunity to develop great apps for windows.

For the same reasons I repeated infrastructure like OLE compound storage -
Now I am able to read
Excel docs much faster with Smalltalk and it should work under Linux.

btw. I started 2 new web-sites which could serve as Smalltalk entry point -
everyone is invited to contribute.

http://Smalltalk-Programming.com and http://Smalltalk-Software.com

thanks for stopping and reading this, Frank Lesser, www.lesser-software.com