Squeak/WinCE/iPaq

Yoshiki Ohshima ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Thu Mar 22 02:57:55 UTC 2001

  Hello,

  While ago, I posted the result of the display update
performance of SqueakVM on WinCE on iPaq.

  Since then, I heard about the Microsoft's "Game API,"
which allows us to access the hardware framebuffer directly.
So, I tweaked the VM to use the API and measure the display
update speed by this code:

    | rect |
    rect _ (0 at 0 extent: 224 at 224).
    Smalltalk garbageCollect.
    ^ [1 to: 200 do: [:i |
         Display forceToScreen: rect.
    ]] timeToRun

  The result is pretty impressive: without Game API the
result was:

>  depth    msec
>    1      8650
>    4      8381
>    8      9065
>   16     11821
>   32     11920

Now, it is:

    depth   msec
      1	    1548
      4	    1582
      8	    1297
     16	    1382
     32	    2110

  -- Yoshiki

Bob (Houston), Sorry for not responding for your post weeks
before.  If you're looking for the VM for WinCE/iPaq, I can
send you the version I'm working on (which is based on
Andreas' 3.1alpha1).