swiki and Squeak documentation

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Fri Mar 16 16:19:00 UTC 2001

> From: Mark Guzdial [mailto:guzdial at cc.gatech.edu]
> The problem was one of OS limitations.  Providing all the possible
> ways of looking at the classes, and all the different classes, etc.
> turned out to generate more files than the MacOS wants in a folder
> (or rather, the Finder -- the Finder really starts to get upset over
> 1000 files and just dies over 10,000).  We could try it again on
> Linux, perhaps.

Why not generate a directory structure that includes first-letter-of-class
prefixes as another level?  That should cut down the files per folder.  If
necessary, the same thing could be done with methods, so
of choice.  I suspect this would keep things below 100 files per folder,
especially as Smalltalk developers typically use suffixes for type
information (BouncingBabyMorph rather than MorphBouncingBaby) so the prefix
letters are almost as random as English language.

		- Peter