[Win32] just another VM update (3.1 alpha build 1)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 2 16:32:21 UTC 2001

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> wrote:
> * dynamic growth of ObjectMemory:
> Yeah! Finally. No more -memory:, no more space low warnings unless you *are*
> out of memory. Note that this is why I consider it a 3.1alpha1 VM; the
> changes do work with older images but it's really a 3.1 feature. If you're
> updated through the last series of changes that Dan posted for 3.1 then you
> should get this VM and do a "space left" - could be interesting ;-)
> [BTW, if you're interested in what is going on under the hood, then go into
> the VM preferences and turn on "show allocation activity" - this will print
> out when the OM is actually growing and shrinking]
> IMPORTANT: If you're planning to use this VM with 3.0 images you should get
> the change set 3723SizeHint-ar from the 3.1 update stream. Otherwise it
> might be that the project publishing mechanism tries to allocate huge (and I
> mean: HUUUUGGGGGEEEEE) amounts of memory. It'll work without the CS but it's
> a gigantic waste of resources.

Awesome!!  Attached is a quick implementation for anyone who wants to
play with it in Unix.  It mmap's 500 Megs from /dev/zero, which on most
Unices will both work and will not actually waste the memory until it's
used (at which point it's not really wasting, now is it?).  Be aware
that you need a recent interp.c and sq.h to take advantage of them.

I've also got patches, by the way, that make the VM pick an initial
allocation based on the size of the image file, meaning you don't need
-memory at all any longer.  However, that's a more intrusive patch than
what's below.

-Lex