Micro Squeak

Luciano Notarfrancesco lnotarfrancesco at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 20:02:04 UTC 2001

I'm trying to build a very small Squeak. I have built
a VM under 70k, and I think I can make it even
smaller. But the hard part is the image. I have never
produced a small image before. How can I do that? I
don't need graphics, files, network, keyboard, mouse,
nor sound. I only need ProtoObject, Object, Booleans,
Behaviors, some Magnitudes (especially Numbers), some
Collections, some Streams, and perhaps Exceptions.
Have anybody done this before? I'm building a parallel
hierarchy for Micro Squeak; I plan to compile it with
a specialized compiler and then I'll build an image
with that. The specialized compiler will coalesce
literals (will make sure that that all the equivalent
(=) literals are also identical (==)), and will use
SmallIntegers instead of Symbols for message sends.
What else can I do? Perhaps a new send bytecode
followed by a 16 bits integer selector will be useful.
Is anybody else doing this? I'll probably need some
help...

Thanks,
Luciano.-