AudibleDebugger (fixed)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Mar 25 21:53:59 UTC 2001

On Sunday 25 March 2001 13:30, Brian Rice wrote:

> Can anyone give a good estimate of what it would take to make a simple
> tool for this, maybe extending the BlockContext protocol to delegate to an
> AudibleDebugger, and maybe stepping down execution speed?

I can't make an estimate, but I'd consider a couple of things:

(1) enqueue sound requests for a separate process to deal with rather than
making your process wait for the sound to be produced

(2) you could make wrappers for CompiledMethods by copying them and editing
the bytecodes so that they could (for instance) make sounds. This way you
wouldn't have to change the source every time you turned a sound on or off.

Terry Raymond's Crafted Smalltalk Debugger for VisualWorks does this (he
calls these edited methods "method probes"). I'm sure that there's sample
code (at least for VW) out there.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA