[newbie]database/wordProcessor

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Thu Mar 8 02:51:19 UTC 2001

Karl Wilson wrote:

> 1. I would love to be able to do in Squeak what I can do in Filemaker
> (and more). I noticed a postGreSQL file on the CD, and my heart skipped
> a beat, but then I realized that it must just be a way of connecting to
> postGreSQL (because the file is so small). I have been very interested
> in learning a "real" database, and postGreSQL seems to be a great
> choice, but doesn't run on Mac OS. I am guessing it's likely it will run
> on OSX, or maybe I need to learn to run Linux (so much to learn, so
> little time). At any rate, Filemaker makes security and multi-user stuff
> fairly easy, would Squeak/postGreSQL be a viable combo for doing the
> same sort of work I am doing with FileMaker (a business database) only
> more adaptable and fun? Or is this world in more of the experimental
> realm right now?

See http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1343.html for Yanni Jew's PostgreSQL Client for Squeak. I've also ported Bruce Badger's VisualWorks PosgreSQL driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/st-postgresql/) to Squeak. I hope to make it available for testing soon.

My main database applications in Squeak to date have used web interfaces for querying and reporting (just generting html tables filled with data--not nicely paginated). I may work on some data morphs soon. And I'd like to look into generating PDF files for reports.

-Mark Schwenk
 WellThot Inc.