How to build 3.0 Unix VM with FFI working?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Mar 15 19:42:56 UTC 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:51:35AM -0800, Ned Konz wrote:
> I managed to get the StarSqueakPlugin to work by building it externally using
> 	StarSqueakPlugin translate
> and then moving the directory StarSqueakPlugin (which contained
> StarSqueakPlugin/StarSqueakPlugin.c) into the src/generated directory.
>
> Then I did ../src/unix/configure, and a make, and a make install. And it
> worked.

Hmm...when I tried this with OSProcess 1.5, it didn't work...I  had
to hack the Makefile.

I haven't tried OSProcess 2.0 yet..

> So I figured I'd get my FFI working again. I repeated the above:
> 	FFIPlugin translate
> then moved the SqueakFFIPrims directory (which contained SqueakFFIPrims.c)
> into my src/generated directory, did ../src/unix/configure, and a make, and a
> make install. This installed a SqueakFFIPrims.so file.
>
> But it didn't work. I get a "callout mechanism is not available". Hmm...

Ditto.

[snip]

> Did a make clean, manually removed the plugin directories under build, did a
> configure. Did a make.
>
> It still didn't work.
>
> So: can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?

I'd like to know this as well.  I really want to move my 2.9a changesets
to 3.0/3.1, but I can't until someone can coax FFI to work on UNIX.
Every trick I"ve tried has failed to get it to work.

I think someone said the pre-built 3.0 VM's are FFI-aware, so it must
be possible somehow..

I've run ldd on the squeak VM executable...it _is_ linked to libffi, but
I still get the "callout" error.