Project save file format changed: how to publish for 3.0 users?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Mar 8 20:40:45 UTC 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:54:07 -0500  "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>Superswiki is version specific.  It's reasonable, with a good bit of
>work, for people to be able to load 3.0 projects into 3.1.  It's very
>hard to allow the opposite, however.  For now, people should only browse
>and especially *post* to a SuperSwiki if they have the same version of
>Squeak that is on the SuperSwiki (ie, 3.0 for Bob's).

Lex,

This would be a reasonable expectation if BSS were commited to stay at 3.0, but that isn't the case. I created BSS to get the ball rolling and allow people to start experimenting with the concept. My expectation is that BSS will stay fairly close to the cutting edge; in fact, there is often content there in advance of the necessary code being in the general release.

If there is (and I'm not sure that there is) sufficient interest in a 3.0-only SuperSwiki, one could probably be created, but who would do that and where are open questions. Optionally, folks could start to identify projects that would and would not work with 3.0. One way would be to include "3.0" in one of the searchable fields in the project info if the project will run in 3.0. Users interested in such content could use the search facility to find it.

Cheers,
Bob