Genie on iPaq..comments

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Thu Mar 15 13:32:15 UTC 2001

Kevin Fisher wrote:
> I'm not sure what could be the cause of the drawing slowness.  It certainly
> isn't system load, as I'm basically only running an X-server and Squeak (no
> window managers or anything else).
>
> Generally Morphic is considerably slower on the iPaq, but as I mentioned, the
> CharRecog pen trail isn't laggy at all by comparison.
The difference between CharRecog and Genie is that the former writes its
trail directly to the screen, while the latter contructs and modifies a
Morph for the pen trail, which is of course much slower if Morphic is
slow on your machine. I think it should be easy to retrofit Genie with a
direct-to-screen trail.
I have also noticed that the feedback is accomplished with a number of
straight line morphs. Probably a stroke morph which just gets new points
appended would make things a bit faster. This kind of morph might either
invalidate the rectangle encompassing the added line segment for each
new point, or it could draw that segment directly to screen for that
special case.
I will probably play with it a little bit today, maybe the outcome will
be such a faster stroke morph.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin