Mac version? Re: StarSqueakPlugin for win32

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Mar 16 03:37:15 UTC 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 07:16:56PM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Helge> At 18:00 15.03.2001 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> >> How soon before someone puts up a Mac PPC version!?
>
> Helge> "Soon" would be my guess.  It's not hard to do, you just need
> Helge> the tool chain.
>
> Heh.  I tried to find MPW just now, and the directories on
> ftp.apple.com are all empty.  And dev.apple.com isn't responding.  And
> I'm not sure exactly what to do once I get there... yeah, I saw the
> page on building an MPW VM, but it refers to 2.4c sources, and I don't
> know if I still need to file that patch in.
>
> I'm a mac user.  I'm trying to become a mac programmer by using
> Squeak. :) Having all this extra stuff to go through means more
> learning curve.  I'm not unwilling to learn... I just need some
> guidance.

To compile squeak on MocOS you need:

 -> MPW-GCC: http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/devel/MPW-GCC.sit.bin
 -> Squeak Source + MPW Makefiles:
    http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/3.0Alpha7MTJ3.11h-SRC.sit.bin

The SRC-archive contains the latest J3-for-MacOS, but Makefiles are provided
to build a normal "interp"-vm.

**WARNING WARNING** the J3 you could build from this sources should *not*
be used for anything but running Benchmarks.

PREPARING TO BUILD
------------------

-> install MPW-GCC (unpack MPW-GCC.sit.bin, move the MPW-GCC folder to your
     disk)
-> add a new folder "build" to the 3.0Alpha7MTJ3.11h-SRC:src Folder

CONFIGURING
-----------

-> Start MPW, set the directory to the macOS directory:
   directory ':3.0Alpha7MTJ3.11h-SRC:src:macOS'

-> Build "Makefiles"
   This generates the dependencies and copies the Makefiles to the build
dir.

BUILDING
--------

-> set the directory to the build directory.
-> Build "Squeak" to build the interpreter.

But: The makefiles only build a monolitic vm, I havn't yet looked
into building plugins.

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.org