Exobox Screenshots

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Mar 15 23:29:27 UTC 2001

Someone wrote:
	> Another story - a very high level engineer in a prominent processor
	> manufacturer told me that object oriented programming was dead, and he was
	> surprised that anyone was still doing it.  I had hoped he was just talking
	> about Smalltalk (we got used to that comment), but no, he meant OOP.

The way IBM are pushing Java (I'm on their developer mailing list) it's
clear they don't think OO is dead.  There's Visual Age Java and Visual Age
C++.  CORBA is OO, SOAP is OO, the XML crowd are pushing DOM, which is
execrable OO.  I don't see any indication of Perl, Python, or Tcl (I'm
really talking about Tk there) disappearing in the near future.

Engineers are the salt of the earth, and the computing business wouldn't
be where it is without hardware engineers, but you don't go to a hardware
engineer to find out what's hot in software any more than you go to an
acoustic engineer to find out what's happening in opera.