Against wastefull forks (Re: Taking Ownership of Squeak(WAS Re: Python at Disney))

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Fri Mar 9 23:52:41 UTC 2001

Bob Hartwig wrote:

> I would normally agree with this, but I think Squeak is a special case.
> You can't effectively do blue-plane research without occasionally burning
> some disk-packs, and you can't effectively do robust 24x7
> industrial-strength apps when the platform keeps shifting and breaking
> under your feet.  Both approaches to development are valid, but difficult
> to reconcile.
>
> On the other hand, it could be argued that if you want to do
> industrial-strength Smalltalk in early 2001, you should use a different
> dialect.  Opinions?
>
>         -Bob

Last year at Camp Smalltalk in San Diego Claus Gittinger announced that Smalltalk/X was being released as open source but with a license requiring a fee for commercial use. I believe that Smalltalk/X will become free for commercial use sometime this summer, but am not sure of all the licensing details.

Smalltalk/X has lots of interesting things going for it. Check it out at http://www.exept.de/exept_99/english/welcomeFrame_smalltalk.html.

-Mark Schwenk