swiki and Squeak documentation

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Mar 16 16:57:05 UTC 2001

Mark Guzdial wrote:

> Jen Brown made a start at this: http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu:8080/api.1

Hey, that's pretty cool!  It appears to be what Dick was asking for, although it looks like a rather old version of Squeak.

> Dick Karpinski wrote:
> >
> >Is there a wiki with the Squeak sources spread out with at least each
> >class on a different page? With appropriate invitations, I think that
> >might be a good way to gather both commentary and questions from the
> >entire community. It would become a resource for programmers because
> >it would always have material more recent than the latest release.

Umm, I would think the opposite would be true: the latest release would always have material more recent than the sources wiki.  (Since you can always update your alpha image from the server to get the latest code changes.)  Unless you're suggesting that someone sets up a script to update the sources wiki with the latest code upon every alpha update, but that seems sort of unnecessary.

Still, having a sources wiki, updated with each major release (e.g. 2.8, 3.0), would be sort of handy for some things.  (e.g. printable documentation, a place for someone who hasn't yet downloaded the image to poke around, etc.)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com