Crashing the Win32 VM w/ Celeste??

Mike Rutenberg mdr at scn.org
Wed Mar 7 18:14:32 UTC 2001

Running on Win32 with a 3.0+ image, has anyone had any problems creating
a new empty Celeste using the World menu
	open... email reader
command?

I was trying to upgrade a friend's Win95 box to the new 3.0 Squeak and I
am getting very strange results.  It is unclear if this is an image
problem or a VM problem.  My VM in all cases is Win32 3.0 build 2

If I do this in a generic untouched final release 3.0, Squeak finishes
creates the appropriate mail files (on disk) and then the VM locks up
into a processor intensive loop and Windows tells me that the VM is "not
responding" over an extended period of time.  This would possibly point
to a VM problem.  I have not yet been able to isolate where it goes off
the deep end.  This is on Win95 with lots of physical memory and lots of
image memory allocated.

On the other hand, if I try the same thing with an older 2.7 image, but
the same 3.0 VM I have no problem.  Celeste opens up and I get control
again.  This is the same old pentium with Win95.  This would suggest it
is an image problem with 3.0, and some mail database cleanups were
indeed introduced in the 3.0 image.

On another machine, a Pentium II running Win98, I have no problem at all
with either scenario, and using exactly the same images and VM.

Any help would be appreciated.  Save any changes before trying... :-)

Mike