Request for comments on Connectors user interaction

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Mar 10 02:18:24 UTC 2001

I'm finally getting around to finishing up the user interaction of the most
complicated bit of the project -- the connectors (lines) themselves. I want
to have them work like Morphs as well as like tools (i.e. click on a
"connect" button, click on the source, click on the destination).

I've posted a (moderately complicated) proposed state diagram on my little
Swiki: at http://nedkonz.dhs.org:8080/Ned/8 (this drawing was done with my
tools).

I'd appreciate comments there (or on the list). What I'm trying to balance
here is:
	* Morphic behavior (don't do anything too wierd)
	* Natural, fast user interaction (3 clicks to connect shapes)

I think I can get both this way.

I imagine having "toolbar buttons" (what Alan Cooper calls "buttcons") that
generate a NCConnectorMorph properly initialized and then tell the Connector
to startWiring.

There is a bit of oddness here (that you can see in the demos I've been
putting on Bob's Super Swiki) in the Morphic grabbing behavior when neither
end is connected: I make the connector jump so that its start end is where
the mouse pointer is, so you're always dragging the start of the line.

I may be able to get away from that with the startWiring and startWiringFrom:
functionality.

Comments?
--
Ned Konz