Rescuing the squeak-annc list (was Re: Squeak ML)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Mar 21 23:56:16 UTC 2001

Jeff Szuhay wrote:

> >Anyway, my thought was that it would be cool if postings made to the
> >regular squeak list with the [ANN] or [ANNC] prefix could be automatically
> >forwarded to the squeak-annc list.  I know Bert F. already has a few list
> >message processing scripts running (such as the bug fixes archive and the
> >unsubscribe auto-reply thing)... would it be feasible to add a feature to
> >forward any [ANN] messages to squeak-annc?
>
> This is a great suggestion.
>
> I would also recommend that the tags [UPDATES] [ENH] [GOODIE] and
> [FIX] be sent to the annc  list as well.

I didn't think of that, that's a good idea.  Certainly [GOODIE] is pretty similar to [ANN], and should be added if we do this.  [UPDATES] is probably a good idea, too... it seems very announcement-oriented, and doesn't happen too often.  [ENH] and [FIX] might be sort of on the border... forwarding them to the annc list might make the annc list a bit too busy, but maybe not.  It depends on whether the annc list is really more about Squeak application announcements and release/update announcements, or about smaller fixes too.

> This would make it a log for the important changes to Squeak
> and the discussions on the regular list could rage on, however
> they will. A casual reader could then focus more quickly on
> what they might need.

Yes.  Is anyone interested in adding this forwarding feature to help save squeak-annc?

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com