While I'm at it...(Re: [BUG]? FileDirectory>>directoryContentsFor:)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 18 16:30:06 UTC 2001

Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to sensibly use file urls for cross
> > platformness (relative ones, for the most part, I'd guess).
>
> BTW, is there something like a relative file url? I ran into this
> problem a while ago and couldn't figure it out.

Yes, and Squeak FileURL goes to a bit of trouble in order to be able to
represent these things.  However, the #pathForFile method, which
translates from a URL to a local file path, was never fixed to work on
both Macs and non-Macs.  I think it worked on non-Macs at one time, but
now it works on nothing.

   'file:/abc' asUrl pathForFile ->  'abc'
   'file:abc' asUrl pathForFile 'abc'

If you inspect the two URL's, however, you will see that the isAbsolute
instance variable is stored correctly.  Hrm, it looks like #toText is
also goofed up -- it prints *two* slashes in the first case!  Yarg!!

-Lex