Has startup procedure changed

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Mar 2 03:28:10 UTC 2001

On Thursday 01 March 2001 19:18, Tim Cuthbertson wrote:

> However, when I check the VM Statistics, it shows me as having total memory
> of about 14 meg with only about 1.3 meg unused. It is not starting with my
> specified 32 meg.
>
> What am I missing (or, what has changed)?

The VM ignores the -memory flag now and can expand if necessary. Try doing:

	String new: 10000000

and see if it works...

>From Andreas' earlier message:

* dynamic growth of ObjectMemory:
Yeah! Finally. No more -memory:, no more space low warnings unless you *are*
out of memory. Note that this is why I consider it a 3.1alpha1 VM; the
changes do work with older images but it's really a 3.1 feature. If you're
updated through the last series of changes that Dan posted for 3.1 then you
should get this VM and do a "space left" - could be interesting ;-)
[BTW, if you're interested in what is going on under the hood, then go into
the VM preferences and turn on "show allocation activity" - this will print
out when the OM is actually growing and shrinking]
IMPORTANT: If you're planning to use this VM with 3.0 images you should get
the change set 3723SizeHint-ar from the 3.1 update stream. Otherwise it
might be that the project publishing mechanism tries to allocate huge (and I
mean: HUUUUGGGGGEEEEE) amounts of memory. It'll work without the CS but it's
a gigantic waste of resources.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA