Uninterruptable Squeak

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Mar 8 20:10:44 UTC 2001

On Thursday 08 March 2001 08:12, Sven wrote:
>  Ned's message about the
> CPUUsageTally goodie made me discover the ProcessBrowser which is alot
> easier to read then "Processes allInstances explore."

That was my intention. Unfortunately, since it's a UI process itself, it
would be impossible to use it to display which process is hogging the CPU (a
higher priority process can keep it and all other UI tasks from running
altogether).

However, the usage monitor I posted can be integrated into the ProcessBrowser
fairly easily, and might help in a system in which the UI is getting _some_
cycles.

And remember that if the UI is running at all, you can use the ProcessBrowser
to lower the priority of the offending process, or to interrupt it.

> The goodie seems
> like it would be helpful for seeing where cycles are used, particularly in
> resource intensive applications.  Thanks for the contribution.

Your idea of a watcher that could pop up with a badly behaved process is
interesting.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA