Is Squeak 3.0 ready for fame?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Mar 18 18:06:36 UTC 2001

Now that a great new version of Squeak is out (great job, Squeak Central and
everyone else!), I think it's time to introduce the world to it.

And that means making sure that its presence on the Internet is up to date.

However, most of the Squeak links out there seem to be quite outdated.

I think it's time to crank up the press releases and get the PR people on the
job!

A bit of a survey, with my comments in [brackets]:

The Squeak Homepage (http://www.squeak.org) describes version 2.8 under
Downloading Squeak. But it says for "up to date" info, visit the Swiki
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.388).

On the Swiki it says that the current version of Squeak is 3.0.

[Why isn't Squeak.org proudly proclaiming version 3.0??]

Smalltalk.org has links from
http://www.smalltalk.org/versions/SqueakSmalltalk.html to the "official" home
page and the Swiki download page. However, the downloads that they provide
are for 2.3 and 2.4b for Windows. Not exactly current.

[I just sent email to ideas at smalltalk.org suggesting that they update their
downloads]

Searching on Slashdot (http://www.slashdot.org) gets a link to an article
called "Disney's Squeak Project" at
http://slashdot.org/articles/98/11/19/2252218.shtml .

[Unlike most Slashdot discussions, it's overwhelmingly positive in tone.]

Freshmeat (http://freshmeat.net) lists Squeak, but it was last updated by
Ted Kaehler  on September 23 1998. If you follow the link, you get version
2.4.

[Ted, you need to update this listing!]

Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net) has a Squeak project, but it's been
moribund since 2.8, on 10/31/2000. And it represented a "non-official" Unix
VM, anyway.

[I know, we've discussed this on the list before]

DaveCentral's Windows software archive
(http://www.davecentral.com/windows.html) doesn't turn up anything for Squeak.

Their Linux side lists Squeak 2.7 (and "Squeak in one floppy disk").

ZDNet (one of the most popular downloads sites on the net) doesn't list
Squeak at all in its downloads section.

Tucows (http://www.tucows.com) has a link to Squeak 2.4.

A Google search for "squeak download" lists Bert's Squeak Browser plugin, a
pointer to a 2.7 download, etc.

One of the top links from the Google search is to
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Web_Authoring/Misc__Programming_Tools/Squeak.html
which has a link to version 2.0.

I could go on. But my point is that we need to get Squeak out there, and
update the existing links.

I was considering posting an article to Slashdot about Squeak 3.0, but are
the downloads servers ready for the huge demand that Slashdot can produce?

For that matter, is Squeak ready for the Slashdot masses? Not to mention the
hordes of Windows, Mac, and Linux newbies out there?

What do we need to do to get Squeak 3.0 into everyone's hands?

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com