squeakland walkback - what image should I use?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat May 12 15:25:03 UTC 2001

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:

>>>>> "Karl" == Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> writes:
Karl> There is a download page at Squeakland with a image that should work.

Randal> Gets hung up in iCab.  Can someone just give me a site that doesn't
Randal> try to be smart and just lets me pick amongst things in a directory?

Ahh, the trick is that iCab is bolluxed permanently when running the
wrong image, so *don't* try *testing* the image first... just ignore
all the tests and quickly zip through the links and the "download mac"
link comes up.  That seemed to install an image just fine.

But that image installed and asked me in a pop-up "there are
updates...  do you want them now?"  Saying yes to that said "1 new
install".  And now it's asking me about a new plugin... so I say
"yes".  And that seems to have frozen things. :( So I quit
iCab... well, it seems to have quit itself...  and retry again, but
this time say "no" to a new plugin.  And, OK, there's tetris.  Cool.
But then I hit the back button, and icab freezes.  I force-quit it,
and now all the TCP on my mac is hung.  I reboot to continue typing
this.

Admittedly, it could be iCab.  But iCab has been nicely stable for me
for many moons.

Gack.  If I'm having trouble, imagine the newbies. :)

Randal> Or better yet, can someone document (or automate, what a concept!) the
Randal> magic that it takes to turn X Random Image into a nice clean image
Randal> that provides all the tools for what a "plug image" is expected to be
Randal> without the 7 random projects of the distribution or any of the
Randal> windows?

This comment still stands.  Is the mumbojumbo to make that image
documented?